Burger Healthy MakeoverFeb 03, 2023
BURGERS HEALTHY MAKEOVER
Americans eat nearly 50 billion burgers each year. That means the average American consumes 154 burgers each year or 3 burgers every week! That’s a lot of burgers!
A single hamburger contains approximately 500 calories, 25 grams of fat, 10 grams of sugar, and 1,000 milligrams of sodium. Although they taste delicious, they are not so good for your health.
Luckily these days there are plenty of healthier options and healthier ways to enjoy this American favorite.
- Be sure to keep it to just one burger – no 2nds
- Swap beef for lean ground turkey – it’s a little leaner
- Swap meat for store bought, plant-based burgers (see list below for some options)
- Swap meat for homemade, plant-based burgers (see recipe)
- Swap meat for marinated portobello mushroom caps – the big ones
- Switch bun to whole wheat bun (check ingredients label “whole wheat flour” should be first ingredient and no more than 3 grams of sugar)
- Switch bun to whole grain bread (like Ezekiel sprouted bread) or sandwich thins
- Skip the bun and wrap your burger in romaine lettuce
- Skip the bun and serve chopped up over a salad
- Keep it to 1 slice
- Switch to vegan cheese (see list below for some options)
- Skip the cheese (you probably won’t even miss it)
- Add tons of veggie toppings (lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, avocado, sautéed peppers, onions, mushrooms, etc.)
- Swap lettuce for spinach (for more nutrition)
- Try guacamole, hummus or salsa on top
- Serve with a side salad
SOME GOOD STORE BOUGHT BURGERS TO TRY
- Gardein Garden Veggie Burger
- Gardein Chipotle Black Bean Burger
- Amy's California Veggie Burger
- Hilary’s Root Veggie Burger
- Praeger’s Kale Veggie Burger
- Big Mountain Foods Veggie Patty
Note: most plant-based burgers will be in the frozen food section at your local grocery store but some might be found in the produce section
SOME GOOD VEGAN CHEESE BRANDS TO TRY
- Parmela Creamery
- Field Roast
- Miyokos Creamery
Note: you will find vegan cheeses in the produce section at most grocery stores, not in the dairy case with regular cheeses
Don't miss a beat!
New moves, motivation, and classes delivered to your inbox.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.